Friday, December 17, 2010

November 16th, 2010 - 3.12 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

This run was interesting for me. It was the first time I ever attempted a run during the work day. This had the potential to go really well or be a complete disaster. I wanted to try it for several reasons (1) to see if I could get a decent workout with all my work stuff so heavily on my mind (2) to see if I would rest well that night because my previous run had me tossing and turning all night. That was a drag (3) to see if I would be able to swing the whole thing without smelling like a high school locker room for the rest of the day and (4) to see if I would be able to get that immense clarity of thought for the rest of the workday that people are always talking about when they exercise in the middle of the day.

(1) My first goal was to get in a full 5k distance and do it slowly. I wanted to take 40 minutes to do it. I’ve read that for weight management, anything less than 40 minutes is kind of a waste of time. I’d already decided that I was going into maintenance mode and I would work on speed in February. I know I can do this distance in about 30 minutes, but I really just wanted to take it slow. It was insanely boring and it was much harder to focus on my form for some reason so I chose to get into the music pumping in my ears. Not a bad workout. Mission accomplished. B+!

(2) I slept like a rock!!! So in that respect is was a huge success. I think it was far enough away from bedtime that the “high” didn’t keep me awake. I finished work, put dinner on and set it to cook while I ran to the grocery store, baked 3 loaves of Amish Friendship Bread and crashed with perfect timing. A+!

(3) A friend at the office gave me little bottles of Candy Cane scented shower gel and body lotion for Christmas and I have large bowl that I keep in the warehouse, so I used it as a basin and gave myself a pretty decent douche (calm down freak! Douche means shower!) in the handi-cap stall of the ladies room so I left the whole experience smelling like a rose (or a candy cane). A+!

(4) I don’t know if I got any real clarity, but I was very glad I did it and had a really nice day. After I was done, I went into the warehouse and took a few minutes to do a really thorough stretching session. I think that helped with the clarity of thought because right after a workout, my mind is going a mile a minute and I really need to take the time to come down. The stretch really helped with that and I woke up the next morning feeling *much* better than I did after my last run. So I guess I’ll have to stretch for the rest of my days. I can’t just tear down my body without any damage control like I used to. Getting old sucks.

All in all, it was a pretty good run but the best part about it was being done with it.

So after my stretch, I sat at my desk for a few minutes to check a few more items off my To-Do list before I rinsed myself off. I figured there was no use in trying to get myself cleaned up until my heart rate had regulated itself and I stopped sweating like a horse. It’s a good thing I work in a casual office…. And I look fabulous in my running skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment