Wednesday, December 29, 2010

December 28th, 2010 – 2.14 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

This run was rather disjointed and much more rigorous than the RunKeeper implies. It was another mid-day run from the office. The office goes dark between Christmas and New Years and only employs a “skeleton crew” of which I am a part.

The dress code is beyond casual for this week. Really, if I wanted to show up in my pajamas, no one would care. As it was, I showed up in my running clothes, with no make-up and brought only another shirt to change into. So the plan was to eat at my desk, use my lunch hour to run a quick 5k and then just wallow in my own filth for the rest of the day. Who cares, right? I’ll be the only one there?

Well, nothing ever goes the way we plan! When I got to the office, we were fully staffed. Several people had decided to come in for a few hours just to take care of the few things. Ah, hell!

Well, what’re you gonna do? Nothing to do except say “Screw It!” and strut your stuff like you’re dressed for the Queen. So that’s what I did.

It was interesting actually, no one batted an eye. I’ve shown up for work on a random day wearing a tiara and no one said a word. I showed up yesterday in what equated to gym clothes and no make-up and not a second glance. I guess people expect all levels of crazy when it comes to me so very little surprises them. This is well with my soul because I tend to do whatever feels right at the time and rarely spare a thought for what others might think.

As for the run, it really was nice. The day was beautiful. There was a trail I noticed while I was driving and I wanted to explore it. As it often happens, the trail didn’t lead where I thought it would and it was going well off from the direction I expected, so I got about .75 mile in and turned around. It was a hilly run and I expected it to empty out into a park that I knew what at the top of the hill. When I corrected and got back to the paved sidewalk, I started climbing again. After about 150 ft, I came up to another trail head and took that one.

This one did lead up to the park that I knew was just over the crest. It was a *lot* steeper than I thought it would be so it was quite a workout getting up there.

It nearly bested me, but finally, wearily, I slayed the dragon and found myself on the green belt at the park. Whew!

It was rough… but it was so much fun, I turned around and went back the way I came instead of taking the easier route back through the park. The ground was still quite saturated from the previous day’s rain so I had to be extra careful around the slippery parts, but what a great run!!!

This is me at the top of the hill waving at the gully. I’ll do this again very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment