Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April 11, 2010 - 13 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”


Today’s run started out with an open-ended goal. I had set my mind on a 10-mile run. If it ended up being 6 miles because the rain caught me, I’d still be OK with that. As usual, I *really* didn’t want to do this run. However, I felt like I had to. I didn’t run yesterday and I was still floating over the two compliments I’d got from friends about my fitness. I gotta say, that felt good. It’s nice to know that my efforts are reaping rewards for me.

So I got the dog ready and made sure I had at least one pack of Chocolate Gu. It’s my favorite. I was feeling pretty tight and yucky, but as soon as I set out, I felt better. The effect was immediate. It felt like my lungs were finally full after days without quality air… which was probably the case.

It turned out to be a 13 mile run. It was the first time I had ever run that far. I was using the Fartlek method and it took me about 2 hours and 45 minutes. I was glad to get through it. Simply knowing that I could do it was a tremendous accomplishment for me. By the time I got home, I was weeping openly and couldn’t care less about the JAFOs on the street.

What I learned on this run: First, that I can do this run and I am more and more excited about doing it! Second, running in cooler weather calls for extra layers. It wasn’t crazy cold, but cold enough that I should have at least worn a T-shirt, as opposed to a tank top. My muscles didn’t seize up, but they were uncomfortable. Third, you can’t underestimate the importance of stretching at every street light. Finally, ice, ice and more ice.

I was 4 lbs lighter than usual when I was finished. I know it was water weight, but it was still nice to see. As far as weight loss goes, I think regular running is a great way to have real weight loss. As opposed to starving myself or going on some eating plan that will drop 5 lbs quickly and bring it right back as soon as you go off it.

This was a good day. It’ll take a few days to recover, but that’s OK. The pain is temporary. Even the pride is temporary. In order to feel this good all the time, I’ll have to do it again and again and again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment