Friday, April 23, 2010

April 22, 2010 - 6.5 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

Tonight, I was able to take advantage of a very rare opportunity: An empty house. When I got home from work, the kids hadn’t made it back from California Adventure and Chris was staying late at the office before he had to run off to church.

With this bit of unexpected fortuity, of course, I decide to get in a quick run. I knew I had about an hour and a half, so I figured I could get in 6.5 miles with no trouble, so I set out. I had recently read an article that listed 100 Beginner Running Tips. I wouldn’t be considered a Beginner Runner, but I am hardly advanced, so I find that I can be well advised by just about anything that has to do with running. One of the tips was something like: If you usually run with music, try it without music. I strapped on my iPod and plugged in my ear buds but decided to run only the first half without music.

I thought I would be insanely bored, but to my surprise, I was able to focus more on the run and what my body was doing without the distraction of the music. Without the music, I realized that the people who passed me on the street were actually saying things to me and even shouting encouragement I couldn’t hear before. I was even aware that Sarah does a LOT of whining when we’re running and I had no idea! Every time she heard or saw another dog, she would whine because she wanted to play, I guess.

I was able to focus on my breathing pattern and cover distance more efficiently when I was able to listen to the music of my breathing, foot falls and arm movements. I was able to transition in the Zen phase of running much sooner than when I run with music. I actually had no desire to turn the music on at the halfway point and went ahead and finished the run in the loudest silence I’d ever heard. I could understand how many runners say their imaginative juices really flow during a run.

I will likely continue to use music on most of my workouts, but that was really good advice and I’m sure I will forgo the music from time to time going forward, especially when I’m running a new course.

I also had the privilege of breaking in my new Asics!!!! They were great!!! I used the Fartlek Method like I always do when I’m running more than 5 miles (4 minutes on, 1 minute off). The last half was a sprint and it felt wonderful! No pain in my knees, hips or lower back at the end of this run, which I’d thought was just par for the course, part of getting older. Turns out I was just in the wrong shoes. Go figure.

I made it home in time to run through the shower, start dinner (no one else was there, so I just had veggies and water: mashed sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli. No meat. It was *really* good!), and stretch while I watched Jeopardy before Neena & Papa got back with my beautiful babies, who I’d missed so much it hurt. Jordan rang the doorbell. When I opened the door, he walked right by me and complained that the house smelled like poop. I told him it wasn’t poop, it was broccoli and “where’s my hug?!” Then he ran at me with a bone-crusher and was full of stories about all the roller-coasters he’d ridden. Then I went to get my baby girl out of the car. The hugs still come from Jayda without requesting.

*sigh* This is makes it all worth it. They had a great time with their grandparents. I got to get in a really good run, in great time. Neena & Papa had a great time but were happy to give ‘em back. I kept the kids up until Chris got home and more whoops, kissing and hugging ensued. Jordan actually cried, he missed his Daddy so much.

My heart is warm warm warm. See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment