Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January 19th, 2011 – 3.04 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

This was a great run. Again, I dressed out to do a quick 5k on my lunch break. I decided to do a hill. Needless to say, I was not looking forward to this run but when the run is calling to you, you gotta step up.

So I threw back some pinole, chia seeds and about 12 oz of water and hit the door. The real climbing started at about the .12 mile mark. It didn’t feel too bad but I knew worse was coming so paced myself. I have been bested by this hill before and I had no reason to believe that I would do much better now. But I did do better! I didn’t quite make it to the park at the top of the hill but I made it to the second trailhead and I had never gone that far before without stopping. That was at about the .69 mile mark.

As I reached the crest of the hill, I started to pick up speed. I knew I wasn’t going to end this run with a respectable average pace, but I had to make up whatever ground I could. My only goal was to make it to the bottom of the other side before my stopwatch hit 20 minutes, because at that point, I would have to turn around and head back to the office if I didn’t want to go over my allotted hour for lunch. Not only did I make it up and over that hill, I was able to make a right and run down the avenue a bit before my RunKeeper hit 20 minutes.

The return trip was not any better. I had to get back up and over that hill again and this time I was exhausted. Even if I stopped running, I had to keep moving at a faster clip than I did before. Fortunately, “I’ll Make A Man Out of You” came blaring out of my iPod and that song always gets me pumped. It makes sense, when have Disney Tunes ever let you down?

So I fought and found myself back at the crest of the hill and took a detour into the park so I could run the trail back down the other side and add about another .25 mile to the run. If I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have gotten a full 3 miles in. That part was all pleasure. The rest of the run was a breeze. So much fun!

When I went to cross the major street to get back to the office, I saw my Christopher walking with a friend with my lunch in a plastic sack. What an awesome guy! Win… Win!

Great run! Yes, I was bested by the hill, but that’s OK. I wasn’t meant to slay the beast today. But I know my day is coming and when it does, watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment