Monday, July 19, 2010

July 17th, 2010 – 2.5 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

Tonight’s run was not great at all. It was after a very long day and I was still feeling some tenderness in my AT and some sciatic pain after the last run, so I wanted to run the track at the local high school. I really prefer not to run laps, but they have a nice rubberized track and I thought I might be able to get a decent workout and go easy on my old bones.

However, when I got there, I couldn’t figure out how to get into the track! Every gate I came was locked. I knew it was possible because there was a gentleman running the track. I use the term gentleman quite loosely, as I am positive he could see that I was there and having trouble trying to get in and he didn’t offer any assistance.

I’m convinced that I ran a good half mile just trying to get in. Soon, I was ready to give up and decided, I would set my GPS and just run back to my car just to see how far away it was. By this time I was at least a quarter of a mile away from it. As I was running over the baseball diamonds, I thought, “Well, this is nice.” The weather was beautiful and the temperature was so comfortable and the little trot I was doing was feeling really good. So I figured I would run around the greenbelts until I wanted to leave. After the first mile, I was feeling pretty good so I kept going. The grass smelled like it was newly mown and watered. It felt just like summertime. Made me have flashbacks of high school track and cheerleading practice.

I was losing daylight, but that was OK. I felt pretty safe on the campus and I didn’t have to run home. After 2.5 miles, I figured I really needed to go because I was out longer than I wanted to be because it took me so long to figure out that I couldn’t get on the track and eventually give up. I still had dinner to cook and the regular home stuff, so I went home.

Two days later, I felt like I hadn’t run at all. There is definitely a HUGE difference between running on damp grass and paved sidewalks. Of course, I knew that, but the difference was overwhelming. I could have run all night.

Still, I think I prefer to run on the street. Can’t say why. Probably because I really feel like I’m going somewhere when I’m on the street and running laps just makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel.

Not a great workout, but a pleasant experience. I’ll have to try it again sometime very soon. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get on the darn track!

No comments:

Post a Comment