Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 23rd, 2011 – 3.02 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

This is a picture of a very tired lady! *sigh*

This should have been a very low key, relaxing run and indeed it was. I didn’t work hard. I wasn’t working on speed or trying to break any records. It was just a maintenance run to get the miles in for the night.

When I changed my clothes at the office and strapped on all my high visibility gear so I’d be ready to run home from the BGC when Chris dropped me off, I knew I was hungry. Starving is more like it.

But I figured: Aw, who cares? I’m pretty tough. It’s only a 3-mile run. A half hour at most. I can get through a 3-mile workout without being properly fueled. It’s not like I’m new to this.

I was right in theory but wrong where it counts. This is a rookie mistake and I most certainly should have known better. It was as if my WipeOut experience, where I did the shooting the day after a half marathon (have I mentioned that a few million times?) taught me nothing.

The moral of the story is: Your body always rules!!! – Your brain might think you are up and ready for something, but a healthy body will always try to preserve itself.

If your brain tells you, you can drink a gallon of liquor, your body will pass right out and leave your brain blank and lying on your friend’s front lawn until its ready to get up.

If your brain tells you, you can eat a 3000 calorie meal, your body will use what it can and store the rest as fat for a rainy day. If that rainy day never comes and the 3000 calorie meals continue, your body will begin to protest. That’s when diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and overall less effective organ function sets in.

Even when you live a relatively healthy lifestyle and your brain tells you, you can work out while improperly fueled, a well cared for body will carry you through the workout because it loves you BUT it will protest.

And when your brain tells you, you can compete well on “WipeOut” without being properly rested, a healthy body will carry you through, but don’t expect to make it to the WipeOut Zone!

All in an attempt to preserve itself.

In my experience, the ONLY time this isn’t true is during pregnancy. When you’re expecting, the tiny human in your body gets first dibs on everything!!! If you aren’t getting enough protein, iron or calcium, it will take it from your very bones with no regard for your wellbeing and leave you tired, weak and in extreme cases, with fewer teeth.


Tonight, I abused my body by doing my workout without properly fueling myself. I did get through the workout but my form suffered and fatigue came early. Consequently, I am feeling it in my knees and I am still tired the morning after.

So remember to take care of your beautiful, healthy body. It’s a good one, and it’s the only one you’ve got!

No comments:

Post a Comment