Saturday, October 2, 2010

October 2, 2010 – 3.02 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

This was a therapeutic run. I had to do it. It had been too long since my last run and I was beginning to think I’d never run again. I wanted to get this run out of the way before I went to get my hair relaxed. I needed to run again just to make sure I could still enjoy it.

This run did not restore my faith in the Runner’s High. It was too short to get the high and the entire time I was worried about getting home with enough time to shower and get to my hair appointment on time.

However, I felt fantastic afterward. I know very well that I am not the best runner in the world. I’m not even the best runner in my house. Sarah would have me beaten every time. But that doesn’t matter. I always feel great after a run even if the run itself is a bad one. I feel strong and sexy. Grrrrr…..

This one wasn’t terrible at all, though. It was just an easy 3 miles. The first mile was as usual. Just trying to get my body back into the groove of running. By the end of mile one, I was feeling pretty good. The feeling didn’t last long, as that is when the hillwork started. When I started out I planned to run as far as I could for 15 minutes then turn around and run back because I only had a half hour before I needed to leave. The problem was, I was determined to get at least 3 miles in. At the end of the first 15 minutes, I still had .18 miles to go! What is going on? Doing a mile and a half in 15 minutes shouldn’t be a problem, right… even if it *is* a bit of hill work. Well, it was this morning. So I kept at it until I reached my goal, then turned around. The return trip was fine and I was at the front door when Chris called to tell me I was cutting it pretty fine.

I ran through the shower and went to get my hair done. While I was out, I picked up a bracelet that I sent in to have repaired. A few months ago I thought it would be nice to start a charm bracelet commemorating all the races I’ve done. When it is full, I will give it to my daughter. I have several more beads I need to buy but they are expensive so I am collecting them over time. So I’ve written a list of the 12 races that I could remember running and started buying beads. I have 7 more to buy. So far I’ve bought one for (1) The Love Run in Westlake benefiting Senior Concerns and Meals on Wheels. I’ve run that one twice. (2) The SIDS Awareness Run in Camarillo. I’ve run that one twice, too. (3) The “Say No to Drugs” Run at the Universal Studios Backlot. That one was fun. I ran that one for the first time last year and I plan to do it again in December. (4) The Gator Run in Simi Valley. That one benefits ‘the troops’. Not sure how or which ones, but anything for the troops, right? And (5) The L.A. Cancer Challenge. I’ve only run that one once, but I’d like to do it again. I also ran a 5k in Northridge, at the campus, but I don’t remember what that was benefiting. I'll have to find the T-shirt. I've also done The Great race of Agoura. That one is famous and so much fun. I'll have to do that one again this fall. I've done The Lion's run in Camarillo and the The Run Through the Orchard in Moorpark benefitting Open Air. I never knew the open air was in jeopardy, but I'll run to support just about anything.

Somehow, my bracelet broke, so I sent it in to have it repaired. Brighton is very good about backing up their products. Thank God, cuz they are not cheap. While I was there, I bought my self another charm. A charm that I have had my eye on for months. Sure I have other charms that I need to buy for races I ran long ago, but this one was for my Half Marathon. The rule is, all races get a bead, but a Half Marathon gets a charm. This was a special day cuz I finally got my charm! And I can wear it every day to remind myself that even when I don’t have the best day, I’m still an accomplished runner.

As proud as I am to grant myself this charm, I can't wait 'til the 24th so I can get another one. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment