Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October 19th, 2010 – 2.20 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

Tonight’s run was great in many ways, but a bummer because it was cut so short. Sean (my new weekly running partner) and I ran along the railroad track and this is a picture of the storm we were running away from. We knew we weren’t going to outrun this storm and it seemed to be trying to warn us to get off the streets. Thunder and lightning made its appearance before the first quarter mile.

Don’t get me wrong here, I have tremendous respect for the majesty of Nature. I am very much aware that God has made it very powerful and I am at its mercy when I’m out in it. But we still made the decision to stay in it for a little while. After all, running in the rain is one of the greatest experiences of life. It’s so beautiful, wild and undignified.

By the time we got to the 1 mile mark, the storm was upon us with a vengeance and the hail started to fall. It wasn’t terrible at all and I was loving every minute of it, even though I was very much on the watch for approaching lightning. Not that I could do much about it if lightning decided to strike me. I’ve gotten faster over last 10 months but even I can’t outrun a bolt of lightning!

At about the 1.10 mark, we are wet to the skin and feeling good, but our technological gadgets were getting wet. I’m all for a run in the rain, but I can’t afford to replace a drowned iPhone. I’ve learned from personal experience that liquid kills many Apple products. I once lost a first generation iPod Shuffle to boob sweat.

At around this time, I get a text from Chris telling me of the storm I’m already under and requesting that I come home. Over 13 years ago, I promised to forsake all others for him alone and also to obey. At the time, I had no idea how I would come to love running or that I would find running in the rain Heavenly. But he’s the best of good men, so we wrapped it up, turned around and headed back to the car.

It was great…. However, running in wet weather has it down side too. The mud was slippery and the gravel was looser here than at the city wash. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was overcompensating for the precarious footing of the terrain. It was extra hard on my AT, where I am prone to have trouble.

So rest it's and ice for me until the Rock’n’Roll Half Marathon this weekend. And these sexy kicks at the office.




I know…. I know….. They’re hot. It’s OK to want a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment