Monday, September 6, 2010

September 5th, 2010 – 4.61 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

Today’s run was miserable! It was far too hot. I should have waited until later in the day. My pace wasn’t terrible, but I really felt like I was having a cardiac episode at some points. I packed some water, but didn’t realize that I hadn’t packed nearly enough.

The beginning of the run was extra slow because I had Jordan with me. Chris and I took an extra 20 minutes to get him set up with my old gear and some good music, only to have him completely wimp out during the first quarter mile. He was close enough to home that I could just send him back and keep on running.

Mile one was really awful, but that is as usual. This was supposed to be the regular maintenance run at about 3.6 miles, but since I didn’t have Jordan with me, I decided to add an extra mile so I did it in my 4 and 1. It was good, but at about the 1.5 mile point, I start to realize that it is way too hot and it’s starting to effect me physically. My heart rate was alarmingly high and if I didn’t slow myself down and drink some water, I was going to have a real big problem.

I had taken a few Sports Beans before the race so my heart rate was artificially elevated and it didn’t feel right. Usually, I wouldn’t take Sports Beans for such a short run, but when I bring Jordan, he likes to have a few beans so we take ‘em together.

The 2 mile point is starting to feel a little like the 39th week of pregnancy. I’m in pain, I’m miserable and I’m starting to think this thing is just never going to end! I check my phone for the local temp and learn that it’s 95 degrees!!! Way too hot! I keep going and I’m approaching the turn around point. The second half of this run is on a slight decline and it has these lovely trees lining the street, so I get a little relief from the heat. Whew!

At the 3 mile point, I am starting to feel LOADS better. I know it’s still too hot, but the high is setting in and I have about 4 oz of water left and I little over a mile and a half to go. This is good. One of my greatest pet peeves is to have the “runner’s high” to kick in when I’m running up my driveway and walking in my front door.

The last mile and a half are actually quite good. Even though I am feeling really good, I decide to force myself to walk the last half mile because it is really warm, my heart rate is way too high, I am out of water and I am starting to see dots swarm before my eyes. I know the signs and passing out on boiling asphalt does not sound at all appealing.

So I stop to walk and talk to a neighbor or two and enjoy the stroll into my neighborhood. Now I’m back home. Here is a very common scene in my house. This month’s edition has a short article on how to avoid heat stroke (page 30) and a free offer on Gold Toe Power Sox! (pages 8 & 9). I am all over that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment