Monday, May 24, 2010

May 21st, 2010 – 4.37 Mile Walk/Hike/Walk


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

Tonight’s workout wasn’t a run at all. I decided I wanted to check out a trail I found when I was doing my hill work earlier this week. I took Sarah and Jordan. I wasn’t sure how long the trek would be but I knew it wouldn’t be quick because Jordan is not the best partner for an honest to goodness workout. However, if adventure is on the agenda, he’s the best.

So we set out and even though the trail head was at the end of a one mile climb, my heart rate never got anywhere near the aerobic or anaerobic level, so I stopped trying to track it and just enjoyed the scenery.

It was nice. Because I had been there before and seen the first quarter mile of this trail, I could tell Jordan about little stream that was ahead and to watch for the song of the bull frogs. There were so many little critters around and Sarah tried to bolt at every sound and movement. She’s pretty strong, but she was manageable. She seemed to be having a great time.

We walked on. We picked up rocks and had a Rock Throwing Contest. We always do that when we go hiking. At the end we’re always convinced that we were both the victor. No one really knows who wins, unless Chris comes. Jordan and I can throw rocks for half an hour and debate about who throws the farthest. Then Chris will pick up one rock and toss it with a force that has our jaws dropping! I have *no* idea how he can throw a rock so dang far! But I’m sure he’ll teach Jordan his trick and they’ll soon be no doubt as to who’s the winner.

We walk and walk and climb and climb. It is only at this point that my heart rate gets up to a level that is even remotely respectable. It only lasts a few minutes. Jordan is marveling at the view and the dog is panting, so we stop and I take a few snap shots.

We met a family and chatted with them on the way down. As we were heading home, I asked Jordan if he wanted me to call Dad to pick us up. According to my pedometer, we had reached the 3 mile mark, which was all I required of this trip. At first he wanted me to call. Then he changed his mind and decided he wanted to go to Rocket Fizz to get a piece of candy. So we held hands and walked to Rocket Fizz.

I’m sure most of my running buddies would call this a complete waste of time as far as workouts go, but when I am 80, shall be glad that I made the investment. When I am on my death bed and musing over the many failures and successes I will have to answer for when I stand before the Lord, I hope we will look back on this night and He will say, “Well done, My good and faithful servant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment