Sunday, May 2, 2010

May 2, 2010 – Half Mile Run.... What?!


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

Don’t let the brevity fool you. This was a *great* experience!!! A friend told me about a trail here in town that was supposed to be pretty good. I left my house with no real intention out getting out of the car. I just wanted to make sure I could find it.

So I loaded my son into the car and set out to blaze a new trail, as it were.

As I was following the directions I thought I remembered Mary telling me, I am falling in love with this piece of the city! I’ve lived here for over 5 years and I had no idea it was so well laid out for open air exercise! I passed one of those wonderful parks with a dirt trail around the parameter and exercise Monkey Bars and Push Up Bars and whatnot. Now, certainly, the bars are covered in pink eye and herpes, but that’s OK because I’m a runner! I hate doing push ups and chin ups are for the unattractive.

I kept on down the road, but I made a mental note to stop by that park on the way home.

Pretty soon, the street changes names. You know how that happens. But I was told to keep driving an eventually the road would end. You can’t miss it! Finally, I arrive at the trail head. Oh, my Heavens, it is beautiful!!! There are other people out there and they are walking their dogs and getting their hearts pumping. I can barely stand it!!!

I park and I just have to get out of the car! The trail opens up to a steep climb and the Beast within me starts to purr. So I start up the hill and a gentleman zooms right by me in a full on sprint. The running super powers are taunting me. But my son is with me, which usually ends up being an exercise in frustration when I’m trying to get a workout, so we keep walking up this hill and without meaning to, I start running up the hill! Oh, it feels so good! I have to stop because I am not prepared. I’m not in my running clothes or my running shoes, I have to keep up with my keys and I didn’t bring a runners pack.... and of course my son is with me and now he is screaming “Mom, wait!!!”

So I go back to get him and we take a wonderful stroll up this hill. After a quarter of a mile, I decide to turn around and head back to the car. Oh, but now we are going down hill. I tell my beautiful, 7-year-old son that I just can’t stand it and he needs to keep up with me! So we sprint down the hill together. It was awesome!

I am definitely coming back here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment