Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 9th & 10th 2011 – 4.83 & 6.70 Mile Runs


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

4.83 Mile Run - This was never meant to be a training run. This was merely a maintenance run, to get the miles in. I usually give myself a couple days’ rest after a race but I didn’t run for a week before the Mud Run so I didn’t think the usual rest period was warranted.

My original intention was to run a full 6 miles. Now that the Mud Run is over, I need to start training for the Love Run, a 10k. I would really like to PR.

According to my calculations, if I want to finish in 60 mins, I need to maintain a 9:40.8 min/mi pace. I’ve never maintained that pace for a race. Ever…. Not even for a 5k.

Nevertheless, that is the goal. *sigh* That would be a 9 minute reduction from my best 10k. I know people who can do that with no trouble at all, but for me it is a daunting prospect. I hate to set goals that I honestly don’t think I can do, but here we go!

This run was far far far from that pace. But that’s OK because again, I was just trying to get the miles in.

I started out with the greatest of intentions and I was excited to start putting some miles on my new shoes.

I had never gone to a specialized running shop to get my gait assessed and then actually purchase the shoes that were professionally recommended for me. The good folks at Tri Running in Old Towne Camarillo were patient and wonderful and got me set up with some shoes that were supposed to change my life. I was excited to get started.

So I changed into my running shorts and tank top at the office and laced up my news shoes.

< insert chorus of angels singing here >

This was going to be awesome! Nothing can stop me now. I’m a running goddess and I am going to take over the world!

So it’s time to head home and I am ready to leave the office. I clock out and burst through the door. Happy to be released from my 8 hours of incarceration and embrace the freedom that comes with a good run. But then…..

< insert record scratch here >

It’s friggin’ FREEZING out here! It’s 68 degrees and windy! I am *waaay* under dressed. I can’t run like this! I must be the goddess of some warm and tropical place because this is too much for me!!

So instead of getting dropped off at the BGC and running home, I decide to go home, change into running pants and a long-sleeved top and take Sarah. It’s been a while since I’ve taken her for a run and she was so excited.

I always get a little more banged up when I run with Sarah because she’s getting so strong, it’s more difficult for me to run with proper form when I’m trying to keep her from running after other dogs. It’s a good thing I had on my super cool new shoes then, right? Well worth the money.

I cut this run short because I was losing daylight and didn’t wear any high visibility gear. That’s the only regret I have about this run. Otherwise, I’m calling it a win.

I was sure to take the time to get a good stretch afterward because after a race, it’s not the day after that’s the problem, it’s the day after the day after that kills you and this was that day. I knew if I wanted to be able to walk or get out of bed the next day, I’d better take the time to do it.

Jayda did it with me and made it much more pleasant than usual.

So here’s to impossible goals, good dogs and cute little baby girls who seem to make everything worth it. Happy Monday!

6.70 Mile Run - This run was about distance, form and stretching. I wanted to get the full race distance in without hurting myself and I really wanted to work on my form which I have to relearn since I'd been running in my 5-fingers so much. I had to reacquaint myself with running in proper shoes. So I did it 4 minutes on 1 minute off.

At around mile 4, my back tightened up and I couldn't relax into the run. As I was closing in on mile 6, I stopped at a traffic light that takes about 30 seconds to change. I spent the time stretching, so the last .70 mile was much better.

I was trying to maintain my half marathon goal pace, which is 12:??. Just anywhere under 13 mins was fine with me. I *just* reached my goal, which may be an indicator that I should rethink my goal.

Also, I am realizing that I am passed that age where I can run and run and never stretch. So now, stretching has to be just as important as my warm down. So I have to work on learning to love it.

It's gotta be easier than learning to love hills, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment