Friday, June 22, 2012

June 21st, 2012 – Two 1 Mile Sprints

The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

This was a weight training workout with some treadmill sprint intervals worked in. I have been nursing some sciatic issues, so I went easy on the distance and decided it was high time for me to start doing some upper body work.

My goal for my arms is somewhere between First Lady, Michelle Obama



... And Olympic hopeful, 100m hurdler, Kellie Wells.



That’s a pretty tall order.

My core goals are somewhere around Serena Williams.



Another tall order.

Granted, I have a few things stacked against me. These ladies have more resources than me and their everyday schedules have big spaces allocated for health and fitness. And they either have older children or no children. But they all started with one step and probably some pretty good genes.

My genes are alright. And I have one thing they don’t have…. Them as role models. So here we go!

Following is the workout:

I started with 30 sit-ups on the tilted bench. I will add weights later but for now, I just used my own body weight.

Then I did 10 push-ups on the flat bench.

Then I did 20 reps on with the lateral pull-down with 65 lbs of weight.

Then I did 20 squatted curls with 10 lb dumbbells.

Finally, I ended the circuit with a 1-mile sprint on the treadmill.

After the mile, I started all over again. All the while, feeding my kids, fielding questions and shouting orders to finish up bath time, get dressed for bed, lay out the next day’s clothes and load their swim gear into the car for tomorrow’s swim lessons.

I did the circuit 3 times. By the end of the second sprint, the sciatic pain was back in full force. Chris was home by then too, so I skipped the third mile and played catch with the 8 lb medicine ball. Those really *are* fun: Catch – Squat – Shift Right – Shift Left – Up – Toss. Once you get those going, it's hard to call it exercise. Especially with your best guy is playing with you!

I can’t say weight training is my favorite thing to do but I’m always glad I did it.

And one day, someone is gonna say “My fitness goal is somewhere around Sabrina Hayes. That’s a tall order.”






No comments:

Post a Comment