Friday, October 28, 2011

October 20th thru Oct 28th – 17.25 Miles Total


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

These last workouts have been very different from my usual workouts. For one thing, I’ve had a partner! For another, they have been at ungodly, early morning hours. Argh!

For a while I had been half-heartedly praying for the discipline to wake up early and get my run in before I go to work. It’s amazing to me really. I have no problem getting up at the crack of dawn to make it to a Start Line but waking up early everyday has never been my thing. Really, I’d rather have a pap-smear or do my taxes or fall-in in an outhouse and drown. I am *not* a morning person!!!

However, Jordan met a friend at the BGC and wanted to do a play date. I did the normal exchange of business cards with the little boy’s mom and waited for the call. When Jordan requests a play date, I always offer the parent my card and let them make the first move.

I love Jordan to pieces, but he can be a bit of a handful and I never assume that other parents are all that excited about having the crazy kid over. So I don’t push it.

However, Lorenza, the mother of Jordan’s friend, did contact me right away….. But not to set up a play date with the boys.

When we spoke briefly, we immediately started talking about health and fitness. I guess it’s just a normal part of my walk and conversation now and I just bring it up to complete strangers whether they want to hear it or not!

Apparently, she did want to hear it because she was all for getting together to run. She’d started a pretty aggressive diet and exercise program to drop weight and was eager to work running into her workout….. But she gets up at 5am every morning to work out.

Here is the conundrum: How do you turn down a gift from God, even if you don’t really want it?!

The fact is, you don’t . It’s that age old adage that your mom always told you, “Be careful what you pray for!”

So for last 5 workouts, I’ve been up at 5am or earlier to strap on my high-visibility gear and power walk her toward a 5k.

We’ve covered the distance every time and she’s getting more and more comfortable with it. Soon…. Very soon, we will start working on a little more speed.

I’ve already charged her with the Stinky Feet 5k in December. She’s ready. She’ll do great.

The Run
October 20th, 2011 – 3.26 Miles
October 22nd, 2011 – 3.76 Miles
October 24th, 2011 – 3.64 Miles
October 26th, 2011 – 3.22 Miles
October 28th, 2011 – 3.37 Miles

3 comments:

  1. You are so lucky I get up at 05h00 twice a week and run alone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really miss the old days when we had a morning group running 4 times a week. One morning we meet Nelson Mandela!!!! but that is a story for another day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Coach! Yes, I am very lucky. It's always nicer with company.

    ReplyDelete