Monday, August 23, 2010

August 22nd, 2010 – 2.39 Mile Run


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

Tonight’s run was OK. Just OK. I almost didn’t do it. Chris and I took the kids to two parks tonight. First we went to a park I wanted to check out for a running venue. There is a pond and I brought some bread so the kids could feed the ducks. Turned out the park was pretty, but nothing I’d go out of my way to run.

Then we took them to a local Dog Park. That was a smashing success!! The kids and Sarah had a *great* time. Even Chris loved watching Sarah interact with other dogs. Great time. Great neighborhood. I should have taken pix, but I let it slide.

Recently, I’d been having a lot of pain in my AT and it wasn’t going away. I didn’t want to make excuses, but I didn’t want to run on a sore AT and cause greater damage, so I compromised and promised myself a 2 mile run on the track at the high school.

This was interesting. I figured since I knew I was going for a shorter run, I could try to bump up my speed. Still, I was aware of the AT, so I took the first 2 miles at my normal pace and for the last .38 mile, I jogged the curves and sprinted the straight-aways.

As was expected, I was sweating like a horse when I got to my car. I felt great during the run and felt like I’d really accomplished something. But the euphoria didn’t last like it does when I take the run slower and for longer.

Here’s the thing: The level of activity I’m currently engaging in keeps me satisfied as a runner and it keeps me in my skinny jeans. I think I might just forget about trying for speed and just enjoy the run. If speed comes in time, so be it, but striving for it is stealing my joy, somehow.

I may change my mind later, but for now, I’m stickin’ with joy.

Another thing I noticed is that I am not as enamored with my CamelBak belt & water bottle.




It fits snuggly enough and I love that it has 2 little cargo pockets for keys, gels and whatnot, but the extra weight was kind of a downer this time. I know I need to carry water even during the shortest of runs but there's gotta be a better way. Any advice?

On Saturday, there was a 5k in support of the Vikings.



I really wanted to go, but Chris had an errand and would have the car. I thought the race might be close enough to my house, so I could run to it, do the race, then run home, but then there was Jayda, and I never invested in a running stroller. Also I really didn't have the extra $30 for the registration fee. But really, this was one of those things that I will try not to let slip in the future. Aside from the 4pm start time and the ridiculous heat that was sure to accompany it, I really regret letting this one slide. It's a great cause and I always want to support local runs.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about carrying water if you aren't:
    1)On trails (or anywhere you might get lost)
    2)Running during intense heat
    3)Running for for less than an hour (maybe 45 min if you sweat heavily even when cold)
    However, that's just me, and I prefer to drink a cup or two of water about 15 min before a run.

    I carry a Camelbak with 70 oz of water (4.375 lbs) for very long runs (>2 hours) with the dog, so I'm sure you'll adjust to your pack over time.

    If interested, you can estimate how much you should hydrate by weighing yourself, naked, right before you run. Don't hydrate during the run, and go for some interval of 15 or 30 min, but preferably for an hour. When finished, strip, dry off your sweat, and weigh yourself again. Depending on how long you ran, you'll be able to calculate how much you sweat per hour. That will tell you how many ounces of water you should take with you when you do carry it. Of course, this value will change based on your effort and the day's temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lloyd!!!

    I once did a 6-mile run (20 mins, for you / hour & 15 for me! You're awesome, BTW. I see your Tweets every day) on a hot day and forgot to bring water. Thought I was gonna die!

    Ever since, I've been paranoid about setting out without water, even in short runs. Even when I consider it, I always change my mind.

    I know I need to get over it for my short runs, but 6 miles a longer run for me and I try to do at least one of those a week. I know I need to weigh myself for a run. I keep forgetting to do that!

    ReplyDelete