Friday, February 17, 2012

February 16th, 2012 – 2.25 Mile Walk


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

My Half is around the corner and I wanted to train for all aspects of it. Typically, whenever I am running more than 5 miles, I do it 4 minutes on, one minute off.

For this Half, my goal is to run it 9 minutes on and 1 minute off. Since my previous workout incorporated sprints with a 6% incline the whole way, I figured, this had better be my easy day. So I decided to train for the walking intervals.

I’ve never actually trained for the walking intervals, I just figured when I got my audio cue, I’d start walking until I got another one. This was not great. I gotta admit, I did not enjoy forcing myself to power walk for 2.25 miles. I know the walking is important with distance running, but I didn't enjoy this.

I was kinda concerned about what I should do about it, and then….

I got a note from Coach Dion. He said my last “steady” pace was too slow, so I need to pick it up. He clearly thinks I’m some sort of Black Wonder Woman and I love that about him.

Here’s what he told me to try:

Mile 1 take it easy (4mph) to warmup and all, Then start your miles at 5mph (half marathon pace), at .5 up it to 5.5mph (10km pace) then at .75 up to 6mph (5km pace)
If you can do 3 miles like that and then don't walk your cool down, but drop it to 4mph for the song of the day...


A 3-mile run is on the schedule for tonight! I’ll letcha know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment