Monday, February 17, 2014

February 16th, 2014 - 3.03 Mile Run

The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

It has been months and months since I have posted. I would bring you up on every detail, but you would surely get bored. I will just stick with a rather long list of bullet points.

1) I made Breast Cancer my bitch!!

Well, I guess it was just the one bullet point.

Over the past 7 or so months, I have been dealing with a diagnosis that came and rocked my world. I had never been so scared in all my life. It was really… Really….. Rough. All of it.

Not everything went according to plan and believe me, even if it had, it was a really rotten plan to start with! Breast Cancer is a cruel and evil beast and it affects so many wonderful people. I hope that one day, we can be rid of it forever.

I am one of the very lucky ones. My story has a happy ending.

Strangely, the cancer itself is not a problem. Believe it or not, cancer doesn’t hurt. Not at all. I probably had it for years without a single sign or symptom. It’s the treatment that literally knocks you off your feet…. And out of your running shoes.

My friends and family stepped up and took care of me like you wouldn’t believe. The food, the gifts, the company, the love…. Was unbelievable. Even friends who questioned the very existence of God were on their knees on my behalf. It was amazing.

This crazy dude is my hero and the star of all my dreams.

He cooked and cared for me with unrelenting love and patience. I was on my back for 6 weeks and He was there for all of it. He never made me feel anything less than beautiful and sexy. He really loved me through a rough time.

These two knew what was going on and they were very careful with their broken-down mum. Smooches!

These folks were in my corner the entire time, of course. Loving me and helping me when I needed it.

This is Mr. Carpenter, a dear friend, fellow warrior in the fight against cancer, and mentor.

He advised me brilliantly on a number of actions and procedures. Talked me down off a ledge or two. He and his husband, Marc, have been wonderful to me.

They were part of a group of many many people. I couldn’t even begin to name all the wonderful people who helped me through this horrific time: My family and friends, not to mention my surgical teams.

My oncologist is a miracle worker and my plastic surgeons are magicians! It is quite possible that I have come out of this thing even more fabulous than I was when I went in.

And now, On to the Run……

This run was extra special because it was the first doctor-approved run I’d done in many a moon.

As I stated previously, not everything went according to plan. I ended up back on the operating table more times than anyone thought I would and to put it quite mildly, it was getting rather irksome.

After the last emergency procedure, I decided I would follow my doctors’ instructions to the letter and that meant absolutely, positively, no running. None. Not even a little bit.

This meant I had to pass on a fun run that I’d registered for the previous weekend. But I got Devin to run it for me. Thanks, Devin!

But this run was to be different. This time is was ok. Or was supposed to be.

I started out on Sunday morning, just trying to get reacquainted with my body and the act of running. I knew it would be hard. I knew my legs would feel heavy. I knew I would have to take several walk breaks. I knew that I would have to take it *extremely* easily. I geared up and got ready to leave.

I set out with a lot of preconceived notions and I was ready for this fight.

Only it wasn’t a fight.

The very moment that I laced up my running shoes and stood up, my posture changed.

For months, without realizing it, I had developed a rather flat-footed, duck-like waddle, striking with my heel.

But this time, once I’d laced up, I took a step….. and I struck with my toe. This was a good sign. Looked like I was well on my way to becoming a Runner again.

Only I wasn’t.

Becoming a runner again, that is.

Yes, this run was slow. Yes, it was clunky. Yes, my legs felt heavy. And yes, a high percentage of my fitness had been lost. Sacrificed to this demon monster we call “Cancer”.

But it turned out, I had never stopped being a Runner.

My body knew exactly what to do and immediately slid right into a comfortable pace that I had no trouble keeping for 3 miles.

Like many of the wonderfully, beautiful, generous and helpful people in my world, running too, turned out to be a true and faithful friend. Thanks for waiting.

Oh! And, get your mammogram!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment