Tuesday, June 20, 2017

June 2017

The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”


Much has changed since I last posted…. and much has stayed the same. As for what has stayed the same: I still believe that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. I still believe my husband is the hottest thing on two feet. I still believe Michael Jackson is the Greatest Entertainer Who Ever Lived! And I still believe the only real athletes are Runners.

But….

I have developed a pretty serious love affair with a bike. My bike! I bought a bike! Her name is Felicia and I *LOVE* her!!!



But we’ll get to that in a bit. Cuz that’s a pretty big change and deserves its due.

Now…. To the Run!

I have maintained a steady flow with Running over the years and I still enjoy it tremendously. I have discovered that I have come to love it more as I’ve gotten older and I found myself wondering why that might be. I certainly have NOT gotten any better at it. I am still super excited with a 12 min/mi pace and I’m pretty content with running 13 miles… Or less. The 10 Miler is still my favorite distance. I am not at all tempted by the Marathon. Maybe later.

These days, running is more about maintaining balance. I fill my body with poison every day and willfully knock everything off kilter! Running keeps everything in its proper place.



Just keeping my body moving on a regular basis cuts down on side effects and improves cognitive function. I find myself letting my mind wander at about the 2-mile mark. This is when the run gets really fun for me. I parse through work issues, home issues and review inner monologues where I discover that I would be absolutely in the right to fly off the handle over a perceived injustice! Then, by the time I get to mile three, I’ve reasoned that there are almost always two sides to every story and remembered that “A gentle answer turns away wrath”.

So trust me, running is much cheaper than therapy and it keeps me from sockin’ people in the face. It’s a good thing.

One thing that has changed is that I almost never run alone anymore. I am a pretty anti-social person and an even less social runner. But about two years ago, I was really feeling like I needed a change. Even though I know it is completely against my grain, I prayed and asked God for the patience to join a Running Group.

Of course, God knows me better than that. He didn’t grant me patience (Thank God, I don’t have time for Patience!). Instead, he blessed me with these ladies.



This is my Running Crew: Sue, Sarah, Lina and the pup is Lily. They keep me going and make running not only fun, but a necessity. And they are exactly what I needed. They are all much faster than me. So even though, technically, I run with a group, I am almost always running alone. And that works out just fine for me. They are sweet, wonderful and expert Mimosa makers. Our runs frequently end with a refreshing libation. Cheers to you Ladies! I love you.


Now!! What’s this nonsense about a BIKE?!!

Yes, I have always held to the notion that bikes are for suckas and cyclists are the nasty people cluttering up my Running Route.

But wait! As I mentioned previously, there are almost always two sides to every story! What if Cyclists *aren’t* fallen angels, sent to earth to corrupt and shame? What if Bikes *aren’t* death traps and a direct result of The Fall?

What if they are wonderful? And liberating? Dynamic and stimulating? What if they’re a sh_t ton of fun???

Turns out they are all of that and more. They are a community of lovely people: Moms, Dads, Professionals, talented, gifted people. I could not have been more wrong about the thrill of bikes and biking. I brought Felicia home about a year ago and cannot imagine life with out her.

Not only have I fallen in love with my bike, but I’m in love with this rag-tag buncha misfits!



We bike on weekends and I look forward to every ride. They are a mixture of elite, intermediate and novice riders. Riding has improved my running by giving me practice at pushing past the point of exhaustion and that is tremendous for a runner.

I have been so blessed by the experience and I take back everything I said about bikes.


As for more change, I now have another man living in my house! My sweet Jordan graduated from Middle School earlier this month. Look at these handsome men! At times I am staggered by how much they have grown and matured and become such manly gentlemen.



They have been friends since they were in Elementary School. They have grown up together, played sports and learned what it is to be a Man through the loving guidance of their Moms and Dads. I am so proud of these fine, strapping young men.

This is a pic of those same “Men” playing in a public fountain after Graduation. Ah, well…..
I still love ‘em and I’m blessed by them every day.



So, that’s what I’ve been up to over the last couple of years. I am still running regularly. I have come to love cycling and working out in groups. Something I swore I’d never do. I spend most of free time in running gear or biking jerseys. This is what I look like when I’m not running….. Always with a book.
#NerdsAreHot



See you on the next run!
And as always….. Get your Mammogram!



5 comments:

  1. You're in a cycling group? What is the world coming to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're in a running group?! what is the world coming to???
    Glad to see that you're doing well. Say congrats to the young man for me. My youngest is starting HS also. Where does the time go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yeah, I know! Me with a Running Group. Never thought I'd see the day. We run in Simi if you ever wanna join. We run the lake in Westlake from time to time too. Like you and I used to! Let me know if you ever want to come!!

      Delete
  3. you are still alive...
    you are still running...

    and now you are still blogging!

    Wish I had the time (and energy) to write more.

    ReplyDelete