Monday, October 8, 2012

October 6, 2012 – Agoura Hills RAD 10k


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

This was a great race!!! One of my favorites. It’s hilly and brutal but it actually has a net downhill. There was a 10-miler option but I have a Half in 2 weeks so I didn’t want to push it.

I had a few goals with this race. First and foremost, the goal is to PR. I finished in 1:13, which is not an overall PR but its 4 minutes faster than I finished it last year, so I’m still calling it a win. Secondly, I wanted to pace it like I would the Half I have scheduled in two weeks. Typically, I like to stay in the 12 minute mile region for the Half and for this race I was at 11:27, another win. Finally, I wanted to aggressively hydrate and refuel during this race. This was new for me.

Typically, I don’t refuel during a 10k. I always hydrate but I usually leave the Gu and Shot Bloks for the Halfs but during my last 10k in Pasadena, the aid stations were bare and I had to fight through that one with almost no supplies.

What I learned about myself is that, no matter how I fuel up before a race or run, I am at the bottom of my fuel by the 1.5 mile mark. I can power through it and hit my second wind by mile 2, but by mile 4, I am completely out of juice. Hmmm….

What if I were to hydrate throughout the race and replace my calories every 2 miles?

That was the plan!!

It worked.

While I didn’t PR on this race, it was a PR for this course. I never ran out of fuel and I never hit The Wall. I powered up the inclines and coasted down the declines. I hit all my walk intervals and finished strong. It was good. I was happy with it.


If I can do this for the Half, I’ll be satisfied.

It was a long day. Right after the race, I went to Ventura with my mother-in-law for the annual Harvest Festival. We do it every year and we shop for crafty items and Christmas gifts.

One of the vendors is a professional photographer who shoots cool landscapes and famous locations. He had shots of Penny Lane, Liverpool, the cornerstone of the hotel where John Lennon died, the gates of Graceland and all kinds of other famous graves and landmarks.

Among his super cool collection: The Gates of Neverland Ranch!!! My mother-in-law bought it for me as a belated birthday present. SCORE!!!! Love it!

This is me with my pic and my pretty baby girl before Chris and I went to the Beer Festival in Moorpark. Yep! Same day!




By the end of the day, I was exhausted but it was a GREAT day!! A PR on a killer course… A great afternoon with my mother-in-law and a super cool gift to go with it…. And an evening of holding hands and hanging out with my best guy.

You can’t beat it!

AS FOR THE OTHER RUNS!!!
September 4th - 3.06 Miles
September 7th - 7.38 Miles
September 8th - 3.36 Miles
September 11th - 3.37 Miles
September 15th - 3.38 Miles
September 17th - 3.16 Miles
September 22nd - 5.37 Miles
September 23rd - 4.05 Miles
September 24th - 3.85 Miles
September 27th - 4.27 Miles
September 30th - 3.72 Miles
October 2nd - 3.10 Miles
October 4th - 3.50 Miles
October 6th - 6.47 Miles --> The Agoura Hills RAD 10k

No comments:

Post a Comment