Monday, August 22, 2011

August 17th & 21st, 2011– 5.00 & 3.74 Mile Runs


The continued prayer is, “Lord keep me focused. Keep my mind stayed on You. Help me to bring You praise. I know You believe in me. Please help me in my unbelief. Amen.”

Both of these runs were bittersweet for me.

August 17th, 2011 – 5.00 Mile Run

This was a run where Chris dropped me off 5 miles away from home and I just ran it in. Jordan had gotten in trouble at the BGC, so I made him run it with me. In my opinion running is *way* better than spanking. Not that I’m terribly opposed to spanking on the rarest of occasions, but if you had to choose, wouldn’t you rather just run him for 5 miles? Sure you would!

He took it like a man for most of the run. When we were about a mile from home, he started to break down. Four miles is the longest I’d ever run him so it made sense that he would hit the wall at this point. I gotta hand it to him though, he did pretty well. We were running very slowly but he was in bad shoes and wasn’t wearing proper running gear. I would have been uncomfortable too. Good job, Little Man!!

Unfortunately, during the same time Jordan and I were getting this run in, a very old and very dear friend of mine was about to Cross Over. Scott Nelson was a friend from high school. He graduated two years ahead of me and we sang in the award-winning Mt. Whitney High School Pioneer Choir together.

We were partnered together for one of our annual shows and I thought I was the luckiest girl in the world! He was the best of good guys. Super hot, very talented, super fit and just good at everything he did. He was a shining star in Choir. Choir members were not the band & chess club geeks you might imagine. Not that I have a thing to say against band nerds or Chess Club geeks. I think they rock! I love geeks!!

But when I was in high school, Pioneer Choir was definitely the destination of the Big Men/Women on Campus. Half the football team was in Choir and just about the entire cheerleading squad. Not that it matters really, I only mention it because for generations football players and cheerleaders seem to always be the barometer for which “coolness” is measured. And I say it to say that all the cool kids were in Choir and Scott was the coolest of cool kids.

“The Lord Bless You and Keep You” was a song that Pioneer Choir sang every year at the annual Christmas Show. We sang it when I was in high school, twenty years ago and they sang it up until the director transferred to Point Loma University. They may still sing it now. I hope so. It was a great tradition.

This is for you, Scott. Rest well, my friend:
(Mt. Whitney Pioneer Choir – 2000)



Throughout the years Scott stayed connected with the school, being a beloved football coach and math teacher. He remained an avid Tri-athlete and all-around fitness guru. He was a member of the city Tri-Club.

During a regular training session, he was biking with a friend down Rocky Hill Drive in my hometown. He struck a teenaged runner. The runner survived with minor injuries, but my dear friend spilled and couldn’t recover from his injuries. He perished at the scene.




August 21st, 2011 – 3.74 Mile Run

This was another run where we were on our way home from running another errand and I asked Chris to drop me off so I could run it home. This was a very pleasant run in a GREAT neighborhood. Scott was still very heavily on my mind so it was kinda rough in patches but I was glad to be out there again.

It had been awhile since I was able to face another workout. But we must keep moving….


Bye, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment